Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Friday, May 06, 2005

Third time's the charm?

All I can say is - I hope so! With surprising calm, I have just started all over from scratch for the THIRD time on this scarf I've been trying to do for the last week. I had scrapped the first effort on Wednesday, fourteen rows into the project (which I'd started on Saturday - I'm not kidding about the errors, folks!) when it became obvious to me there had to also be an error in the pattern, as my piece was developing into a trapezoid, no matter how even and loose my stitches were. But I doubted myself as I started the second attempt, deciding it must have just been me and my stupid errors (figuring I must be dropping some stitches that I wasn't catching). I had lots of trouble with this second attempt too, starting with the fact that my ball of yarn had some flaws in it. I'm using Paton's Grace for this project. I had set aside the first ball, after completely frogging the 14 rows, because I now had a ball of yarn with most of it wound around the outside, making it a bit harder to work as a portable project.

Back to that second attempt. About 5 rows in, I ran into a major bad spot in the yarn, which I had to cut and reattach the yarn. Because the ends kept getting in my way, last night I carefully and thoroughly weaved them in, never imagining for a minute that I might later be contemplating frogging this scarf too! For good measure, I also hid the starting tail, and attached a stitch marker so I'd know which end was which (something I need help with lately - almost can barely tell up from down!). Like I said, I'd first determined that there had to be an error in the pattern, then decided I was imagining things - except that this piece too is developing that odd slant, despite the fact that I KNOW I haven't missed any stitches, and they are all even. Twenty-two rows... To be frogged later. At least up to that first five rows. I've never tried to frog an item that had ends weaved in good and complicated (I'm as insecure as any crocheter about those ends coming loose!). And I've started all over again..., again. This time I'm listening to myself and making the change I determined was the problem. Now, I've only gotten four rows done so far, but already I can see the improvement, and I KNOW I'm right! I should know better than to doubt myself, but considering how badly I kept screwing up, my self-confidence took a severe nose-dive this week.

For anyone else who may also be struggling with this pattern, I am working the crocheted scarf that is in the current issue of Vogue Knitting. The pictures are on pages 92 and 93, with the pattern written up on page 129 of the magazine. It's a simple two-row repeating pattern. Row 1 has you chain 5 at the end before turning, with rows 2 and 3 instructing to chain 3 at that point. But in order to avoid that trapezoid effect, you MUST chain 5 at the end of row 3. In other words, chain 3 on all even rows and chain 5 on all odd rows. It's the only way you'll be able to maintain the pattern stitches correctly. When you reach that point on the next row, your last double crochet should go into the 3rd chain of that chain 5. It should look like a sideways T.

It's only taken me 3 tries to figure it out. This time I think I've finally got it. Now all I have to do is keep my fingers crossed (when I'm not crocheting, of course) that this will also be the end of the dumb errors (putting one double crochet where 5 are supposed to go has been a frequent one, and surprisingly not caught until I reach that spot from the next row. Grrr!). Yeah, okay, so I've had a lot on my mind lately, but it's still ridiculous!

Okay, back to work! I've got a lot of catching up to do...

2 Comments:

  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Thank you! I've got that scarf on my list of "to do" projects. Thanks to you, I went ahead and made notes on the pattern ('cause it may be months before I get to it!)

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger goldi said…

    I'm happy to hear that I may have saved somebody else some hair-pulling - that was my intention for posting the info! Once this project is done and in the recipient's hands, I will have some pics to post, to show the difference it makes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home