Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Catching up on yesterday

I'm running out of today again, as usual, but I really wanted to get this in before the day (and the weekend) was over. And I want to be quick about it so I can (hopefully) make it through row 2 of my new sequence series on Seraphina (woo hoo!), and so far (knock wood), no frogging has been needed yet! I'm psyched now!

Anyway, where was I? Oh - yesterday. Well, let's back it up a bit and give some background on part of yesterday's happenings...

A few weeks ago, my mom took a nasty tumble. Very nasty, on cement, which she managed to hit with her entire left side of the body, literally from head to foot, plus both hands. She didn't let me know about this until about 3 days after it happened, and absolutely insisted I not drop everything to come see her. Mom is 94 years old. The kind of fall she took is the kind that can potentially break bones in a younger body, never mind a 94 year old one, and there was also the matter of a possible concussion. But, in her usual stubbornness, she refused to seek medical treatment. She assured me that, though she was pretty banged up, she was allright and just needed to take it easy for a few days to recover fully. Knowing that it was futile to argue with her, and also knowing that she was very savvy about her own health (which is better than mine), I accepted her assurances but insisted I would visit her later in the week. I then scheduled myself for a half-day off from work that Friday.

Then, my boss on Thursday asked me if I'd be willing to put in some overtime to help catch up on some work that's usually handled by another employee who was on vacation for two weeks. Seeing as how I'd been begging for some overtime opportunities, I couldn't possibly turn that one down. Mom must have been psychic or something, as she called me the same day to ask me not to come until the weekend because she wasn't feeling up to it. Mom's from the "old school" where it's required for her to "play hostess", complete with a meal, whenever anybody comes to visit, even her own daughter. Oh, and not only is she "old school", she's also Italian - need I say more? So, we rescheduled for Saturday.

Then, on Saturday, I woke up with the familiar pain I get every month between my active female cycles. I was told many years ago by an older Jewish gal that it is called mittelshmirz in German, and that is what I have called it ever since. What it is, actually, is ovulation pain, and from all of my research about it, the only options for treating it are to go on the pill or have a hysterectomy, neither option being appealing to me. In the last couple of years, it has gotten cripplingly worse, as I struggle through the winding down of my fertility cycles. But I have been assured that once I stop the ovulating and bleeding routine, the pain will also stop, this from others who have experienced it, so I am hanging on as best I can. But here it was, Saturday, I had an hour and a half's journey ahead of me, and I was in agony... I reluctantly decided to call mom to reschedule for Sunday, with fingers crossed that this session would be a short one (it usually runs anywhere from a half a day up to 3). When I told her I would not be able to make it till Sunday, she burst into tears on me! I felt so horrible! I promised her that come hell or high water, I would definitely be there on Sunday.

And Sunday, I was in even worse pain! Oh treacherous body! But I had promised, and so I made the trip. Because of the pain, I couldn't install her window air conditioner as she had hoped I would do that visit, but I did go shopping for her, getting her well-stocked. It was pretty obvious she would not be able to get out for a shopping trip on her own for awhile, and her usual shopping partner, her brother Sam (who lives on the first floor of the two-flat they both rent from their other sister, who owns it) couldn't really do that much shopping for her either - he's crippled by arthritis and is on crutches. Besides, I'm sure he wasn't aware just how bad off she was, as she's the type to downplay it (and then wonder why people don't know!). But despite being a bit unsteady on her feet, the bruises from her fall were already fading and she seemed to be otherwise fine. She was thrilled to pieces to have me shop for her, and concerned about my own health issues, so she rushed me home after I brought her the groceries and put them away, insisting I go home and rest.

Kind of a long introduction to yesterday! But now we're there... Friday, she called me at work (she has hardly ever called me over the years, and I'm also lousy with phones - probably got that from her. But I digress.) and sang my praises over the selections I had made on my little shopping trip for her. She sure knows how to butter a person up! But she wanted to know if I'd come again this weekend and do a bit more shopping for her, and put that air conditioner in (this, after inquiring about my problem and finding out I was now fine). Although I was very tight, money-wise (a trip to her house would put me one tankful shy of my next paycheck), I already knew that she would slip me money for the gas, so I didn't have to worry about that. I said yes, of course!

Saturday is not my best day for doing things. I usually don't go anywhere on Saturday, as I need that one day to relax and unwind from the workweek (which is always high-stress for me). Even though this past week was a short one, due to the holiday, I had still put in nearly a full five days of work in the four, since I had been offered the chance to do the overtime (but these hours would not be at overtime rates because of the holiday. Still, better than zero!). Four twelve-hour days (10 working hours plus two hours on the road getting to and from) had pretty well wiped me out. So I was hoping to make the trip to mom's on Sunday. She had other plans...

She called me yesterday morning as I was sitting here at my computer, still barely functional and feeling unusually sore and stiff, mainly because I'd slept a full 8 hours instead of my usual 5 or 6, and my body was protesting the extended stay in a very worn-out bed. The coffee I was drinking hadn't had a chance to start working yet, and before I knew it, I was taking a dictated grocery list over the phone and trying to calculate how long it would take me to pull myself together to make it to her house by 1 pm, which was "late" by her standards. I won't bore you with the details of my insane scrambling to get everything and myself ready and make it out the door, protesting internally and struggling to calm the anxiety attack this triggered, but I finally got on the road at 11:30, now panicking because it was so late, and I still had to make that grocery store stop (the list was specific to one particular store, and to be honest, it's the best grocery store I've ever been in. And it's not far from her house). It was a hot and muggy day, further adding to my discomfort (It has to get even worse than that for me to use the ac in my car, as it causes my fuel to disappear at a very rapid rate, not good when you're trying to stretch it!). Though traffic was heavy, it flowed smoothly for once, even when I got into the city (Chicago. She lives in a suburb right on the edge), and I made it in record time. I got to her house, groceries in tow, by about 1:30, only a half hour later than I'd told her!

She fed me a fabulous homemade Italian hamburger for lunch, with slices of the fresh Italian bread I'd just picked up from Caputo's, and fresh ripe tomato slices. Mmm mmmh! And then we got ready for the air conditioner installation.

Right about then, the thunderstorms that were moving through the area decided to show up overhead. Fortunately, the storm wasn't all that bad, and we got the air conditioner installed and insulated, ready to go for the summer - and in good time too, as forecasts for the next week are for temps in the 90's! (good thing I'm not done with Seraphina yet. I had predicted that the temps would probably shoot up there as soon as I did, maybe I'll get lucky now). After a bit more talk, she packed up some food for me to take home (like a good Italian mom does), and I was on my way.

The trip back home was much slower than the trip in. I left her house a little after 3 pm and got home shortly before 5 (a stop-off at the cheapest gas station on my route only used about 5 of those minutes at most). I had barely changed out of my travelling clothes and into my "lounge" clothes, thinking about a nap and then an evening of crocheting when Phil called. He wanted me to come for dinner, and maybe watch a movie. I told him I needed a nap first since it had been a long, exhausting day. I didn't want to go, and quite frankly I don't know why I didn't just tell him then.

So I laid down around 5:30 or so, and it felt like I didn't even fall asleep at all before the phone rang again! But I must have slept, as the clock reported 6:30 to me. Feeling a tad grumpy by now, I picked up the phone and said "Hello?" And heard an unfamiliar female voice say "Debbie?" On guard now, I asked, "who is this?" And she said, "I'm a voice from your past!"

It turned out to be Jasmine, my foster sister, whom I hadn't seen or spoken to since I was oh, around 14 or 15 years old! I had just missed seeing her!!! She was in town for the weekend with a friend and had decided to look mom up, and if she hadn't gotten lost, I would have had a chance to see her! I was elated and bummed all at the same time, lol! At least now we have each other's phone numbers and email addresses, so that we can stay in touch, and I am looking forward greatly to this. And I know this had to have made mom's day. She had managed to stay in touch, via letters and cards, with Jasmine and her mom and aunt, and I know she has always held a special place in her heart for the scared little girl that came to live with us direct from France so many years ago. And, from the letters and cards she shared with me, the feeling was mutual. What a wonderful surprise!

Since this post has reached epic proportions (and I still have workday prepping to do, plus that crocheting goal), I will save the telling of who Jasmine is and why she came to live with us for later, but not too much later. I am so thrilled to have reconnected with my sister!

Oh, and I called Phil after that and begged off for dinner, asking him if we could do it today instead, to which he was agreable, and from a culinary standpoint, it worked out for the best that way. Hopefully I'll get a chance to report on the knock-out sweet and sour pork stir-fry dinner he prepared (with a little bit of an assist from me). I will be eating my share of the left-overs for the next week, and will still probably have to throw some out. I told you I haven't been starving, even if my food money is going to yarn!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said…

    Goldi,
    Interesting story. I am looking forward to the flash your stash. My stash consists of mostly roving, and some yarns (handspun) If I ever weighed it I would wonder why the floor doesn't collapse as it is on the second floor!
    Deb

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger Deneen said…

    Goldi-

    You write longer posts than I do, however, yours are more interesting. The seraphina looks wonderful. You should check out the Butterfly Shawl by HollyM on C'ville. It's kinda like the seraphina, but easier. Looks so nice too! I'm going to do both and then compare.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home