Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Seraphina update

And now, some pics of my Seraphina as of last Thursday (June 9). I had almost decided to wrap it up after finishing the 4 row series I was working on at this point - I was nearly finished with row 2 in these pics. In this first one, I'm holding my working supply in a rather dorky manner here, lol! Looks almost like I'm leaning on something, but I'm not. DD was my photographer.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Most folks would probably have been satisfied with this length, but I've envisioned my shawl to be at least a few more inches longer than this, which is why I decided to continue, even though it meant there would be a delay in finishing it until I could get more yarn. Good news is it looks like I will be able to swing a purchase this week after all! I will share some close-ups of the stitch detail when I get a chance, it's truly awesome-looking in this laceweight yarn! It was worth every minute (and hour) of frogging I had to do to make it as near-perfect as humanly possible. I am soooo in love with this pattern!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Deneen said…

    It looks great and yes, I would make mine longer too! What yarn are you using???

    Your daughter's afghan looks very pretty. Homespun is nice, but I feel it's a bugger to work with. Good first project for her though~

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger goldi said…

    Hi Deneen, this is the Knitpicks Shimmer laceweight in the colorway "Morning Mist", isn't it lovely? I will add a link to the page for this yarn on my blog. It's soooo soft, and fuzzy almost like a fine mohair, though I must warn you it can make frogging difficult at times, just like mohair does. With the voice of AMPLE experience, I recommend keeping a sharp needle handy for frogging sessions, and to go slowly, pulling in the direction of your yarn supply to minimize the tendency to snag on itself.

    And yeah, Homespun can be difficult, it scared the crap out of me the first time I tried to use it, lol! But I got the hang of it and now it's one of my most favorite yarns - I have the largest quantity of this yarn in my stash, and am always looking for more, lol!

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Khebhin said…

    Goldi,your shawl is beautiful!! I'm going to have to try lace weight myself. What size hook are you using?

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love it! Must get some of this yarn to use. So, how many hanks will you end up using?

    Thanks!
    Alex

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger goldi said…

    Hi Khebhin, for this shawl I'm using an F hook, though an E would probably be better. I wanted my stitches loose both for the extra lacy effect it gave as well as to make it easier for these tired, overworked eyes to see my stitches!

    Hi Alex, I'm not sure how much of this next hank I will use, but 4 hanks will be my maximum. I had used up most of the third hank when I took these pictures. I completed the pattern repeat I was on when the pics were taken (I was partly through row 2 of 4 rows) and added another full pattern repeat of 4 rows before I ran out of yarn. I'm thinking another 2 sets of 4 rows should get it to my favored length, and there should be enough yarn left over to fringe it if I so desire.

    Thanks for the comments folks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home