Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Saturday, June 18, 2005

"We interrupt your regular program..."

Taking a brief break from the flashing, I thought I'd go wandering down memory lane for a moment and indulge in a bit of bragging while I'm there. I'm hoping it will help me to reconstruct in my mind the story of this afghan, which I made some 20-odd years ago.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I couldn't tell you how long it took to make it, I can't remember. Searching the foggy memory banks, it seems I made this when my DMIL was still alive. I know I got the pattern from one of her subscribed crochet magazines, I still have it. It was an "Annie's Crochet Newsletter" booklet, similar to the current "Annie's Favorite Crochet" (though looking through the old booklets, they were far superior to the ones they have been offering recently, from what I can see).

The part I'm trying to clarify in my mind is the notion I carried that I had ceased crocheting sometime in my teens and didn't pick it back up until after Dorothy died. This afghan is proof to me of the fallacy of my recollection, because of my recalling of the various places where I worked on this project and where we were living when I finally completed it. Whew! My memory never used to be this bad!

At any rate, Isis remembers me working on this afghan, and I know she expects to become the proud owner of it someday. It has spent many years on my bed until recently, and has been washed many times in the washing machine. It has a slight problem with pilling now, a recent development, though it still looks pretty good, and so far is holding together as tightly as when I first sewed all those pentagons together. It was my crowning achievement, and nothing has yet knocked it from it's lofty position in my mind as the "best work I've ever done", though I am hoping to surpass it someday.

And who knows? I may pass it on to my daughter sooner rather than later, so I can enjoy her enjoyment of it.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Deneen said…

    Gorgeous afghan-love the stash pics, especially the cotton!

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    beautiful 'ghan.

    one request: could you please stop flashing your stashing? I'm getting waaaaay jealous. :-)

    now back to drooling over your stash...

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger goldi said…

    Thanks folks! And Sara, sorry - I have a few more to go, and then I'll stop, lol!

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Evelyns little corner said…

    That is beautiful
    Very nice work how many blocks?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home