Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Monday, July 04, 2005

I. Have. HAD it! I QUIT!!!

Running down the clock on my 3 day weekend, and I haven't got ONE stinkin' thing to show for it! Not ONE! I swear I've been cursed with menopausal dementia. I cannot make it through ONE stinkin' crochet project without spending MORE time frogging than actually crocheting, due to the supremely DUMB errors I keep making - and often not discovering until numerous rows down the line! Most of the projects I've attempted this weekend never even got past the first freakin' ROW because no matter HOW hard I tried, I couldn't even end up with the right stitch count! One project called for a row of 12 stitches - 12. I kept ending up with 11, or 13, NEVER 12! I finally had to give up on that one before I did something drastically violent to myself. It is maddening, and it is TOTALLY ridiculous!

I'd had several "small" projects planned for this weekend, most of them items that SHOULD only take about an hour or two, that I wanted to make. I have abandoned most of them after spending several hours trying to get a stupid ONE hour project right, and failing. How long did I say I've been crocheting? Right now, it feels like I never learned.

Now, what has prompted this explosive rant? Only the ONE project I seemed to be managing to stitch successfully, and had been making pretty decent progress on. I had just come to the end of my latest row, only to discover some missed stitches on the previous row. Okay, no problem, even though I felt a tad frustrated, I ripped back the whole row to go fix the spot. But then as I started up again, I noticed something else... Way down, in one of the foundation rows of the pattern (I'm working in rounds with this must-remain-nameless project - it's for my secret pal, if it survives), I discovered a BIG loop sticking out of the work, as if I'd accidently snagged a stitch. I'm working with a double-stranded #10 thread for this project, and it quickly became apparent that I had somehow dropped one of the two threads as I was making my stitch - 9 rounds back! And it's GLARINGLY apparent, on the outside of the work! Why I didn't notice this sooner will remain a mystery to me. So now, I am looking at frogging the whole damn thing back to round 3! And I wonder why I never seem to get anything done??? I've had it, I tell you! It's almost enough to make me hang up my damn hooks until this menopause deal is over, IF it will ever be over! On days like today, I wonder...

Of course I won't quit (must be a glutton for punishment), I'm too stubborn to do so. It's just so maddening when I think of all the projects I want to do, need to do, and I can barely make it through one small one without a massive nervous breakdown! I just wish I wasn't having such a damn hard time with this, it is taking the joy out of it for me. But I won't quit.

I've already discovered that it doesn't matter what I attempt, I'm going to have to deal with this problem with anything I try to do. It may be more related to the stress thing than the menopause thing, who knows? Even typing a message takes me far too long, as I spend half my time correcting the stupid typos I keep making as well. This has affected every area of my life! So any ideas of suggesting I take a break from crocheting and do something else instead isn't going to solve it. Better I just keep plugging along, stitching and frogging and stitching and frogging some more, and maybe eventually I'll have an FO to show for it. But I'm certainly going to have to cut back on my (now apparently) ambitious plans, I'll be lucky if I finish a tenth of what I had hoped to accomplish this year.

It's a nice gloomy rainy day today, perfectly matches my mood, great! Sorry for the rant folks, I just had to get that out, to save my hair. Okay, gotta go get some froggin' done. ::sigh::

6 Comments:

  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Deneen said…

    I don't think it's menopause....I have days and days like that. I just frogged something I worked on for three days straight!

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger goldi said…

    Well, maybe it's something in the air, then. It's not a real good gauge on how things are beyond it, but in my own little circle consisting primarily of home and work, I hear many other folks complaining of similar issues. We're all stressed, no doubt about it and whether we want to admit it or not. I just wish it would stop messing with the one thing I need that normally makes me feel good!

    I can't take a whole lot of comfort in the fact that I'm not alone with this problem - I wish the yarn would flow smoothly and flawlessly for all of us! So sorry to hear you're having the same problems, Deneen! Hope it gets better for us real soon!

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    I've been dealing with a similar issue. I am terrible about getting 80%-90% (sometimes 100%) done with a project and thinking "I don't like the way this looks" I'm very hard on myself and having a picture to compare to doesn't help! So, I spent most of the week-end trying to finish something, getting to the point of seaming it together and thinking, "ick. I"m going to do something else"

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    I find that a glass of wine and some quiet time (away from the crochet) always helps.

    :-)

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger goldi said…

    Don't tempt me! ::grin:: I am, alas, allergic to all things alcoholic, but there are some days where it would almost seem worth it. Almost, but not quite.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not knowing what pattern/stitches you're using, I can only suspect that the hiding/multiplying stitch count is due to turning chains ... visit the website www.crochet.org and click onto the link for teach/learn crochet and check out the rules they have posted for turning chains; it's a great help!

    Also, there are times that things happen and we're given a choice -- frog it or leave it. Sometimes, if the error is not glarring, I like to leave it and then add a flower or other decorative touch to hide it. This gives the item a genuine personal touch. :)

    ~Dee
    CrochetWithDee, The Journal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home