Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Monday, July 04, 2005

Randomly fired thoughts...

Well, I'm almost back to where I was when I discovered my mistakes on my project, had to take a smoke break (I try to keep it completey segregated from my crocheting, which could be part of my problem!) and figured I'd toss out a few more thoughts.

First off, I notice my weather pixie is reporting sunny conditions. Not sure where my pixie is, but when I look out my window, it sure don't look sunny to me! I think the rain stopped, but we still have a pretty good solid cloud cover keeping the sun hidden. Maybe it'll clear up later and finally match the pixie. Heck, if I were to drive over to Phil's, about 4 miles from here, I'd probably find the sunny conditions I seek! But it would be even harder for me to crochet over there, given my tendency lately to make grossly stupid errors when I have nothing else to distract me, like conversations or movies, or even watching the birds make a mess scattering bird seed on his section of the balcony! So I will just stay here and see if I can break this trend now. Besides, I still have to try and sneak in at least a few chores before this weekend is over. I'm the world's worst procrastinator!

Yesterday I discovered a bit of yarn trivia that I pass on to other potentially unsuspecting owners of Lion Brand's Fisherman's Wool: Do not, I repeat Do NOT store this yarn together with other, possibly even non-wool, yarns in a Walmart (or other store) plastic bag! If you're going to keep it in a bag, segregate it from your other yarns - it will make them stink like little sheepies! Funny, I hadn't noticed it had an odor when I bought it! Will that odor eventually wash out? I can't imagine making an Aran (or other) sweater or afghan from such a "fragrant" yarn! Is this typical of all fisherman's wool? Just Lion Brand? Or just my skein? (seriously, I doubt they just decided to pick on little old me, I'm inclined to believe at least the second one). Is there a reliable way to neutralize this odor? Will dyeing it with Kool-aid do the trick? Any and all suggestions gratefully welcomed!

Today, I discovered another bit of yarn trivia I thought I should pass on to all those lucky enough to have a yarn ball winder: even if it's not posted, there is a speed limit! I, umm, got a little carried away as I was winding a cake of nifty nubby yarn from a large cone I have, really was letting it crank since it was flowing off the cone so smoothly - until the cake came sailing off the winder and bopped me in the chest!

Go ahead, laugh! Of course, I wasn't in the mood to laugh at that moment (I had taken up this task as a small distraction from thinking about all that RE-crocheting I had ahead of me), but I'll admit it was a pretty silly incident. Some of the wound yarn got messed up in flight, but I managed to straighten it out some, and decided to just end that cake, though it wasn't as large as I'd wanted it to be. I made another one immediately afterward, obeying all traffic signals along the way! And it came out very nice indeed.

Well, amazingly enough, I see the sun is struggling valiantly to bully his way past that pesky cloud cover, though he's got a ways to go. I will now go browse CVille for a short bit (one more smoke!) and then it's back to the hook and thread...

3 Comments:

  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Deneen said…

    I have some Lion Brand Fisherman yarn, but store it in a tote with other wool, so I never noticed the smell. I checked the tote, no reall sheepy smell-weird. I've read other complaints that while fulling in the hot washing machine, the laundry room smelled like a herd of llama or sheep, but I never had that either, hmmmm...

    I've had a few winder "mishaps", but they were usually caused by a little five year old "helping" me out.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger goldi said…

    Oh thrill - I can't even blame MY mishap on a five year old (pretty convenient for you!). Of course, I'm known to be worse than a five year old sometimes, lol! Or so they say...

    As far as that wool goes, perhaps it was due to a higher humidity. Though we haven't been getting much in the way of rain lately - in spite of my belly-aching about the weather, the rain was badly needed and still nowhere near enough, my grass looks like late August grass right now - humidity levels have still been high, and having the wool closed up in a plastic bag may just have been enough to "cook" it a bit, especially since I have no air conditioning and we've had temps in the high 80's to low 90's for much of the past few weeks. This weekend was the first where we had a couple of days that barely cleared 70, sure felt nice! So it may have had a little help in releasing it's fragrance. Sounds like I may want to wash this wool before I try to do anything with it. Certainly makes it seem more "authentic" though, doesn't it!

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    I wish I could describe the sound effects that went through my head when I read about your flyilng cake. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home