Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Friday, August 19, 2005

Okay, enough already!

As if I didn't have enough things weighing on my mind and dragging it down last night, shortly after I posted my last message, my computer took a huge belly-flop, giving me the dreaded blue screen with an ominous message: "Unable to write to disk F" (F being my humongous GB secondary drive which I use for just about everything except the operating system, the idea being to make things easier in case I find it necessary to reformat drive C and reinstall said OS). The system did not recover when I followed the onscreen prompt ("press any key to continue"), leading me to be forced to do a hard shut down (hold the on/off switch in until everything turned off). It was very late by that point, and I was absolutely numb from all the hits I'd taken, this one being the last straw, so I didn't even bother trying to restart the computer and went to bed, hoping today would be a better day.

Since I knew I would be staying home today and wanting to be able to take advantage of that and sleep late if I felt like it, I made my "not coming in" call to my boss and left a message on her voicemail before I hit the sack. It didn't take me long to slide deep into my pillow, and I barely stirred until I woke at around 8 this morning, the hour my body naturally wakes up at when I'm not forced to follow a schedule imposed on me. It was a good 45 minutes after that before I became mentally coherent enough to actually do anything, which again is pretty much the norm for me. At that point, I decided to cross my fingers and try turning the computer on to see what would happen.

It went through it's usual startup routine and then into what I call the "scold screen" ("you didn't properly shut down therefore it is necessary to scan everything to make sure there are no errors. If you don't want to see this screen again, shut down the right way", never mind that the only time I get this stupid screen is because Windows f**ked up! Grrrr!), but this time with a twist - it stated that it had detected a problem with drive F and would need to do a full surface scan on the drive, which it then proceeded to begin doing.

My F drive is a very roomy, very LARGE 75 GB, as in GIGAbytes... Do you know how long it takes to do a surface scan on a 75GB drive?

A very long time indeed!

I turned on my computer around 8:45 this morning (approximately, I was still not fully alert and so did not take note of the exact time). I finally broke down around 6 pm and stopped the operation at about 77% of the way through...

What had been scanned already had come out "clean" (no problems indicated) and what was left was totally empty space, so I figured it really wasn't necessary to wait several more hours. Besides, I've rarely seen the scandisk to actually find any problems on my drives, unless the drive was fried, and this drive is just fine. My Windows operating system, however, seems to be another story entirely. It's flakey, unpredictable, and very problematic, and I would dearly love to dump it. I may get the nerve to do so someday, but since my brain is similarly afflicted lately, I am (patiently) waiting on that to recover before attempting to learn a new operating system. Right now, I can't even remember the name of the system I want to try! How frustrating!

I did have some difficulty getting back up and running, had to reboot something like 3 times before everything was running correctly, but it looks like I'm back online and hopefully the wierd problems will take themselves off somewhere else and leave me alone! When I say "enough already", I mean it - I really do!

Okay, I have to run out and take care of a few small errands. When I return, I will report on the other happenings of this very busy day. At least some things managed to find a happy ending, and I'm thrilled to report my next post will be a positive one! But now, after all I've been through, I'm going to reward myself and go buy some Angel Hair, dammit!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Deneen said…

    Goldi, what a shitty start to your unplanned three day weekend. Happy thoughts are being sent to you via this post!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home