Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Saturday, August 20, 2005

White Knights...

Or should it be "Knights in Shining Armor"? One of 'em anyway...

So, this morning as I stared at my computer monitor displaying the slow progress of the scandisk on my F drive, I tried to think about creative solutions to my car dilemma. I felt rather paralyzed and anxious about it, so I did the only sane thing a person should do under such circumstances: grabbed some yarn and a hook and got to crocheting! I had started on a scarf out of this luscious Lion Boucle in the colorway called "Taffy" over a week ago, had gotten about 8 to 10 inches into the project and realized I'd made it waaay too wide! So I frogged it - and as anyone who has worked with any kind of boucle yarn can tell you, frogging it is NO fun! But I'd somehow managed to accomplish it, but hadn't had a chance to restart the project.

After my computer had crashed last night, I'd figured I would just go to bed and crochet for awhile. I have been working on the Angel Hair scarf, a couple of rows every night before passing out. I decided to measure it last night and discovered I'd reached my targeted length. All that was left was to hide a few ends (from attaching the second ball of yarn) and fringe it. Fringing not being a good "before you go to sleep" crafting activity, I went looking for something else to work on, and my Taffy Boucle waved me down. So I'd managed to get about 5 or 6 rows in with that before having to shut the lights off and go to sleep. This morning I continued with it and managed to work up a full skein (which is not that big a deal, seeing as how they're only about 55 yards, but still...). I also got half of my fringing done on the Angel Hair scarf. All of this by 11 am! But then Phil showed up (having called me a short while earlier), and the remainder of my day was no longer my own - but the end result of it is a car that is now purring instead of rumbling!

He truly is my Knight in Shining Armor (but don't tell him that, it might go to his head!). I owe that man BIG time! To the tune of $300 smackaroos, as a matter of fact, though if he wasn't such a wheeler and dealer, it would have been a hundred bucks more. But it was a rather long and roundabout way that we took to getting the exhaust system fixed.

We started with notions of a temporary patch job, and went off to two different auto parts stores looking for the right materials and coming back with something from both. I then tore this room apart, sifting through my accumulated 6 years (or more) worth of receipts (I really think it's time to purge, don't you?), looking for the paperwork from when I'd last had the exhaust system done. In the meantime, he picked up the phone and called the muffler place where I swore I'd taken the car for it's previous job, and had them look in their system. Nope, it wasn't them, which meant I must have taken it to the shop near our previous residence (when we were living together). My memory is atrocious lately! While he had them on the phone, he tried to get an estimate out of them on what it would cost, and they tried but finally suggested we just bring the car in and let them have a look (it was free). So off we went to the muffler shop six blocks down - me in my loudly rumbling vibrating car, he in his overheating one (he was also having car troubles, believe it or not). That's where I found out that besides the muffler and tail pipe, I would also need a new catalytic converter. The price they quoted was just shy of $400!!!

We backed out of there slowly (actually, they were very nice about it all, and almost apologetic about the cost - I think the guy behind the service counter noticed me blanch and was worried I might pass out, lol!), and headed back to my place for a reconnoiter. Since he couldn't dilly-dally (or risk his car overheating), he got there first, and I found him laying flat on his back on my front lawn when I rumbled up, talking on his cell phone. He contacted the auto repair facility where he regularly takes his cars (he goes through cars rather quickly, thanks to his job - putting 3 to 400,000 miles a year on a car tends to wear it out pretty fast!), and got a quote from them for $100 less than the muffler place. Only problem was that Angel's (yup, the name of the repair shop) is about 15 miles from my house. But after today, I don't think I'd even think twice about taking my car anywhere else to be fixed! It's not often you can find an auto repair facility that charges FAIR prices and gives PREMIUM service to boot, and this place was it! I didn't make it down there (Phil again preceded me, at breakneck speed to keep his car cooled down) until a little after 3 pm, and by 5 I was driving away in my now-quiet car. He was also able to get his overheating problem diagnosed and would've had it repaired on the spot if they'd been able to get the part right away. He will have to return tomorrow for his repair (radiator fan replacement, at about a quarter of the cost elsewhere - he checked).

So now I am mobile again, one less fearsome worry behind me, and deeper in debt to a friend who just keeps on giving. He has now more than tipped the scales after I'd saved him from being dumped on the street last year in subzero weather (he was in the process of being evicted by an evil landlord during one of our coldest snaps - temps in the minus teens etc etc). I had been a bit bent out of shape when the rescue turned into an eight month stay in this very tiny house. But I will never bitch about that again!

Alas, though, this is going to put a serious crimp in my future yarn budget! Looks like I will be leaning harder on my current stash to fulfill my creative urges, though I have no doubt I'll still manage to find ways to squeeze some money out here and there, just can't go as nuts as I've done recently (really shouldn't have anyway, though there are no regrets).

It's getting late again, and I have a bit of catching up to do with what's transpired online today, so I will post this - and I'm shooting to finish up the boucle scarf by morning. I did manage to finish fringing the Angel Hair scarf, and my oh my, does it look wonderful! I ran out to buy ONE ball of the marvelously soft stuff this evening (I was so good, even managed to resist the "Angel Glitz" I petted while there!), to make a hat to go with the scarf, which only took about 1 1/2 skeins. I'll post a pic of the scarf tomorrow, and will also be able to post a pic of the Taffy boucle as well. I'm close, maybe about one more hour's worth of work on it to be done. I suspect this one is going to become my favorite one! I don't know if I will be able to interest anyone at work in buying one of my scarves, I didn't get many orders last year as everyone was crying broke, but I thought I'd try anyway. It might help that I'm starting earlier than November too, I think that might have had something to do with the lack of orders, lol! These scarves I'm making now will be models to show to hopefully spark some interest. I sure do need the money, that's for sure - and I'd much rather be able to make it doing something I love to do anyway. I have several more models I am planning to whip up, so my hooks should be busy for awhile - that ought to keep me out of mischief. I think.

Oh, let me take a moment to thank folks for comments: thanks to you, Jewels, and yes the crocheting is helping me to pull through - don't know what I would have done without it! Maybe I'll get that chance to do that dyeing this weekend. I think I'll try to get the skeins divided tomorrow (today? already?! sheesh!), and maybe I'll get to play with my Kool-aid Sunday, will keep my fingers crossed.

And thank you, Deneen, for those happy thoughts - as you can see, they're working! As bad as it started out, things have definitely taken a turn for the better, hopefully we'll be able to keep this momentum going!

One of these days, I will find out what the proper way is of responding to comments left on my blog - is there a "proper" way? I have sometimes responded with comments of my own, but then wondered if the recipient would ever see them since they'd have to go back and look. But even if I don't respond specifically and directly, I do deeply appreciate any and all comments people are so kind as to leave me!

Okay, tomorrow there will be pics, promise! I have a backlog of them to download from my camera, so expect a picture dump, lol!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Jewels said…

    Yarn and good friends do wonders for the soul and look how things have a better outlook in only one day! Great to see.
    omg that Seraphina is to die for!! Beautiful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home