Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Handy Cold Weather Friends?

It's a cold one today, I think winter is finally beginning to catch up with us here in the Midwest. Now that I find myself unemployed, I'm even more concerned about keeping that thermostat set to the lowest possible setting I can manage. So far, the house temp hasn't dropped low enough to set the heat on. Fortunately, I do have a floor heater I can use in the one (very small) room I spend most of my time in. That, and the plant lights, which seem to throw a reasonable amount of heat with the light, keep this room fairly comfortable, but I still need to dress warmly, and my hands still get awfully cold - especially my mouse hand!

I made myself a pair of fingerless gloves out of the lusciously soft Dolcetto yarn from the JoAnn Bellezza Collection, the pattern used was the pretty one in this year's Interweave Knits Crochet edition. They turned out quite nice, VERY soft and oh so cuddly! Here's a shot of one of them, since I have yet to master the trick of getting a picture of both my hands while manning the camera:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One thing about the pattern: if I'm reading it correctly, then I have that handwarmer pictured above turned inside out. But I like the way the stitches look on this side as opposed to the other side, so I've decided that, inside-out or no, this is the way I'll be wearing them! It's a very pretty stitch pattern and it gets lost on the "right" side, in my opinion.

I've been procrastinating, but the chilliness today is motivating me to finish working on my modification of these gloves to provide even more warmth where I need it. I am somewhat hampered by lack of a sewing machine, which would make this process go a little bit quicker, but if my alternative method works out, then I will be happy. I will post more about all this mysterious stuff once I've gotten it done! Soon, very soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home