Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Surviving

I received the most adorable ecard this morning from Kimberly, with a disco turkey singing the classic (I think it was Donna Summer, if memory serves) "I Will Survive" song. It really brought a smile to my face - thanks Kimberly!

And to all my friends who have left comments and sent me emails full of encouragement, support and advice - what would I do without you folks? You've touched my heart and lifted my spirit, and I can't thank you enough! I KNOW I will survive with this kind of support.

I've spoken to my contact back at the office to discover that "bosslady" went off on her previously scheduled vacation trip to Mexico yesterday and will be out until next Monday. I was also informed that no one knows what the heck is going on other than the fact that I am no longer working there - she told them nothing! There is a huge check request coming down to the department today (total of 70 checks) that is essential to be completed, and since my leaving was, shall we say, rather abrubt, I had not had a chance to set things up in the system for someone else to get this critical job done. There will be problems. LOTS of problems! I really feel sorry for my co-workers, they didn't deserve this.

No, I will not help them if they call. This is no longer my problem, she made it so. In fact, to forestall any possibility of my weakening if the phone should ring, I plan to be out all afternoon! It's a gorgeous sunny day, and since I can, I'm going to take advantage of it. I am filing my claim for unemployment and will see what's next. I would like to have a few weeks to get myself and my own affairs reorganized before I start the concerted effort of finding a new job. This one burned me out terribly, especially the unrelenting stress of the past 6 months. I've got a lot of recovery work to do.

Crochet will be a significant part of my therapy, of course! I've had this overwhelming urge to "create" for such a long time now, and now I have enough time to really dig into that stash and make something of it. There will be a hook in my hand everywhere I go, lol!

Later today, I am going to try to finish up my modification for my fingerless gloves. If I can't find someone (probably Phil) to help me get a pic of these things, you will be graced with a pic of one of them. Where there's a will, there's a way!

I'm also progressing nicely on my Iris Seraphina, this thing is gonna be gorgeous! Maybe I'll take a progress shot of it tonight to post as well.

I also have lots of other projects I'm dying to dig into, my Christmas list of projects and other things. And, there are the WIPs that I'd like to get around to finishing too.

I also have a ton of housework to catch up on, many things that I just couldn't do because of what I was going through. I hadn't realized how tensed up I had become until last night. I spent the evening at Phil's, feasting on a hefty pork roast dinner he'd whipped up (going back for generous portions of leftovers tonight, lol!) and even felt relaxed enough to stay and watch a movie with him, first time in a long time. No more anxious clock-watching, calculating to the minute how long it will take me to get things done or to get somewhere. It's a real feeling of freedom, I feel like I've been let out of jail.

Along with the movie, we also sat on his balcony for smoke breaks and enjoyed the sound of the surf hitting the beach below his apartment complex on the lake. This would be Lake Michigan, our "inland sea". We were also gifted with a spectacular lightning show over the lake. With the unseasonable temps (night-time temps in the 50's!), it was a truly relaxing experience - just what the doctor ordered!

The only downside to the evening was that I couldn't work on Iris while watching the movie - it was too dark, and I need lots of light to work on this one. But I managed to get a few rows in after I got home, so all is well. But I did feel relaxed enough to set it aside and just enjoy the movie, something I would not have been able to do otherwise, as I was always feeling like I couldn't "waste" a precious minute when I had so few "free" ones to do what I wanted to do.

There are a lot of other things I am hoping to do now that I will have time for them too, such as catching up on other people's blogs and maybe updating my own, and perhaps also having a chance to participate more on the boards at Crochetville. Money's gonna be tight (understatement of the century, lol!), but expenses will also be drastically reduced. Just the savings in the gas for my car alone is going to be a huge chunk. As I clean up my house, I know I will also find lots of things available to turn into cash to help me make the ends meet. It may be time to learn my way around ebay...

And so, recovery begins, and the Phoenix will once again rise from the ashes. I will survive!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger ladylinoleum said…

    Gloria Gaynor, my sista, is the survivor songstress...or a hen turkey with an afro, depending upon your perspective. LOL

    Goldi, you sound really happy and totally together. You will survive and I for one am routing for ya!

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger jaclim said…

    Hi Deb! I also got that turkey day card from Kimberly and it was too funny! I was feeling down yesterday as I have the flu but that card lifted me up. I'm sure you'll survive this temporary crisis. I don't feel sorry for the boss despite having to take drugs for depression but actually felt she deserves it for not giving you consideration for being only a few minutes late.....and this after working for the company for the past 9 years! Bury yourself in crochet, my friend. It's the best therapy! lol! We are all here cheering for you! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home