Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Oh Happy Day!

FINALLY! I am pleased to announce that I have completed my FIRST EVER DOILY! Yipee! WOO HOO!

Image hosting by Photobucket

It taxed my patience (which has been in severely short supply lately) to no end working on this thing! It really wasn't all that hard to do, I was merely hampered, as usual, by my own ineptness. I think it would be safe to say that about a third of the stitches that make up this doily were executed at least twice due to my tendency to lose the loop from the hook on the way through, most often on the second pass-through of the trebles. Once dropped, there was no way to recapture it as the yarn-over loop would usually slip off as well, or stretch out intolerably. I also had to re-do numerous stitches after completion because the top loop came out too loose, no matter how hard I tried to keep the tension tight (yet not too tight). The loops constituting the top of the stitches that jumped across a space were the worst. I think I may make a post asking for tips from the expert threadies at CVille on how best to remedy that so I can save what little hair I have left, lol! Then, of course, there were the numerous times when I came out of the finished stitch with only part of the thread on my hook - I was amazed at how often I managed to split the thread! And those little buggers were HARD to disengage from my hook when that happened - in fact, as you will recall, I had a mini-disaster with that problem early in the project!

Despite all these problems, I surprised myself by making very few actual errors on this project, unlike nearly all of my previous ones. I only had to frog back for a correction once, that must be a record! I'm hoping this is the start of a trend!

I finished this late late late last night, but my eyes were so blown out by that point that I couldn't see well enough to hide the last tail, so I had to wait until this morning to do that last necessary bit. It still needs washing and blocking - and then it will REALLY look spectacular! - but I couldn't wait to share it. So here it is, in all it's glory!

Image hosting by Photobucket

This was the March doily from the Leisure Arts booklet, A Year of Doilies, Book 5*. I used one ball of Aunt Lydia's Crochet Classic #10 thread in a pastel variegated and a steel #7 hook for this project. I plan to gift this to my mom for her birthday next month, I know it will knock her socks off. Can hardly wait!

(*You can see a picture of all the doilies in the book from this link, but the price is inflated. Here's another source for the book. It doesn't appear to be available at Annie's Attic anymore, though I just may not have looked hard enough. I got my copy for half price (about $5) at Hobby Lobby, which has been having an ongoing "instruction book" half price sale, to clear inventories.)

I am currently waiting (impatiently) for my jimbo hooks, which are on the way - maybe they'll arrive today? He shipped them Saturday, so we will have to wait and see. Naturally, I will post a picture and report as soon as they arrive! I have an afghan project all set and ready to be started as soon as I get them so I can give them a proper test run. I am going to be making the Quilted Trellis ghan from the Lily Chin book Mosaic Magic* which I had gotten for half price at JoAnns in early December. I have spent a good deal of time drooling over the patterns in this book, and have inventoried my stash to find enough materials to make at least 3 projects plus most of the materials needed for a couple more - good stash-busting projects. I need it! I am up to my eyeballs in yarn here, lol! Not that this is a BAD thing, mind you, and I still lust for more (crazy me!). At least I have ideas for most of it, just have to get on the stick and get 'em done! I just wish I wasn't so dang slow at it.

(*You can see a picture of the book here. For those hunting for a copy, I found a reasonably priced one here - I've never purchased from this online source before, so don't consider this a recommendation of this seller.)

Anyhow, wanted to share my joy.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anna said…

    That is such a lovely doily. I love the colored thread. Congrats on finishing your first doily!

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    It's gorgeous!! You did a fabulous job. :)

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Raquel said…

    The doily is very beautiful!!!Love the colour you used

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Joe said…

    Fantastic! I can't imagine how one would make something like that.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger ladylinoleum said…

    It's truly lovely. You did a fantastic job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home