Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Those promised pics

I guess all those weeks of sleep deprivation finally caught up with me. Almost immediately after I made my last post, I went to bed and was soon out like a light, woke up a little before 8 this morning. It has taken all morning, however, to loosen up a bit, and my right arm is still giving me hell for the workout it was forced into yesterday. So, whether I like it or not, I will have to take it easy today. I have plans on making major strides on my doily, though I will have to take frequent breaks, both for the sake of my arm and my sanity. I am in full PMS mode today, which I discovered as I was redoing yet another stitch for the umpteenth time because the loop had snuck off my hook and refused to be recaptured without the whole thing coming undone. I will NOT repeat what I said when that happened, lol! I had to walk away from it at that point, and go cool off. My patience level is in the basement today, lol!

Well, I've been promising pics for days now, let's see if I can get them posted finally!

First off, here's a couple of shots of the loot I came home with the other day...

Image hosting by Photobucket
I had some time to kill before my dentist appointment, plus two 40% coupons to cash in, so I toddled on over to the Super-JoAnns in Vernon Hills. Most all of the other JoAnn stores within my reach are of the smaller variety and limited inventory, so I don't like to pass up the opportunity to visit this one too often. I used up my 40% coupons on the Lion cotton because I have not seen that color anywhere else, and I had been lusting after it! The beads were clearance priced and too pretty to pass up. And the material... All of the "home decor" fabric was on sale at 50% off, and this stuff just caught my eye. It is gorgeous! I have a notion in mind of using it as a lining of sorts for some small thread bags done up in a mesh stitch so this lining will show through. Other ideas are in mind as well, and I have enough here for several of them, some of them may even incorporate the matching beads. I am such a magpie for colorful, sparkly things, lol! Even if I never use this fabric on anything, it's almost worth it just as a piece of eye candy! Everybody that walked by the cutting table while it was being measured out had to comment about it, lol!

I spent so much time in JoAnns that I almost didn't make it to the shop where I picked up the items in the next picture. I had discovered there was a LYS not far from my dentist's office, and I'd wanted to visit, but I seemed to recall they closed at around 4 or 5 pm. My appointment was at 3:40, and by the time I got to the neighborhood after my JoAnns foray, it was after 3, nowhere near enough time to go browsing in a store full of yarn goodness before having to rush off to have my teeth drilled! Considering the weather forecasts and not knowing how long I would be at the dentist's, I didn't think I'd have enough time afterward either - I was hoping to beat the weather home.

I got to the dentist's about 15 minutes early after lollygagging a bit and was surprised to discover that they were running slow and could take me right away (how often does that happen?!). I had dragged my feet coming in because I was so early, had I known, I would have gone in immediately, but no worry. It all worked out. I was out of there shortly before 4, so I decided to swing by the shop and see if it was still open. It was raining, with a small amount of snow mixed in, by this point, so I thought I might still be able to beat it home.

The shop was open! Even better, they were having a sale - 40% off ALL yarn! How could I resist?
Image hosting by Photobucket

This shop, Basket of Stitches, located in Palatine Illinois, has apparently been there for about 5 years or so. It's very tiny, tucked into a row of storefronts on a one-block long street in a congested area. And it looks like it's been there for centuries. The shop had a rather dingy look and was rather disorganized and messy looking and, unfortunately, so was much of the yarn. Many had lost tags or ball bands, making them harder to identify. It was a bit of a disappointment, actually. But I did find the above and with the 40% markdown, at very reasonable prices, especially the Gallway - I would LOVE to go back and get more of that, they had lots of it in different colors. I had even contemplated getting some Noro to try out, but it seemed to be one of the worst as far as the messiness I mentioned above was concerned - I couldn't even identify most of it. Despite my disappointment in the ambiance of the shop, I was pleased with my selections, and got out of there with arms and legs intact. Of course, said limbs were then put in danger of being lost on the hazardous ride home, which I probably could have avoided had I not made that stop, but all is well that ends well!

Next up is a few trips down memory lane!

This picture shows my first attempt at making a wearable, it was from a pattern I've had for YEARS, clipped from a magazine a long time ago (mid-eighties, I believe). It was also the first thing I made after my long hiatus from crocheting, and I was still programmed to reach for the Red Heart, which this is made from. I started this in early spring of 2001 and didn't complete it until the fall of 2004. It didn't turn out too bad, considering that I had to almost relearn everything I knew about crocheting in the process of making it and, as far as wearables go, still didn't know squat! It fits, but just barely - I'm a little too busty for it. Still, not bad for a first effort!
Image hosting by Photobucket

Next up are a couple of pics of a baby afghan I made for my daughter - when I was pregnant with her 28 years ago! I still have some of the unused yarn in my stash, believe it or not, lol! I gave this to her last year after I ran across it in my storage, but I didn't think to take any pictures of it before I did. Earlier in the week, I remembered this and asked if she could provide me with some pics of it, and here is the result:

Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

I remember putting the final touches on this thing while in labor, lol! I must say, it's certainly stood the test of time - it doesn't look like it's almost 30 years old!

Off to find some mischief or, even better, to see about making some more memory lane-worthy materials!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger ladylinoleum said…

    Awesome yarn haul girlie! Don't ya just love the feel of new yarn???

    Hey, I am totally PMSing too and I had trouble with that freaking turban pattern for the vintage hat cal. I almost cried about it other day. Totally understand yer pain.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger goldi said…

    Hey Regina! Yeah, I am ADDICTED to the feel of new yarn, lol! And this stuff is soooo nice!

    Glad to know I'm not alone with my PMS issues. Hopefully I'm past the worst of it now - for this month at least! I always wonder how many bodies will be littering the landscape by the time I'm out of the danger zone, lol!

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Mimi said…

    Goldi, your 40% off yarns make me so envious! And I love the colors you chose.
    The top you made is pretty, I think its my size ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home