Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Monday, February 06, 2006

Heaven is a piece of wood!

There was no way I could pass up the opportunity of finally realizing my dream of having some wood crochet hooks to work with, and with all the trouble I've had with cold hands trying to wield cold aluminum hooks in a cold house this winter, there were practical considerations involved as well. I lost a great deal of crocheting time due to that cold issue over the past couple of months that I did not want to lose any more!

I knew from the moment I saw the first one posted on Crochetville that I wanted to have some of Jimbo's wonderful hand-whittled hooks. It was especially appealing to me to have a hook that was designed with my specific grip in mind. I worry often about those repetitive stress issues, considering I spend the vast majority of my time doing things that can create and aggravate that problem - and I am already suffering from it with my "tennis elbow" issues. So I wasted no time placing an order with him.

We ran into a small problem along the way, though, and I know the fault is mine (though he might try to insist on taking part of the blame, I refuse to allow it!). In deciding what sizes to order, I looked at what major projects I was lining up for myself over the next few months and reviewed the sizes of the hooks required for those projects. I found them to be pretty evenly split between two sizes: J and K. I also wanted to order an N hook, but had no immediate plans for any projects using that size of hook and, being anxious to make sure that no matter what project I chose to do next it would be with a wood jimbo hook, I went ahead and ordered a J and a K. Granted, I did hesitate over the idea of ordering two hooks so close in size, realizing there could be an opening for error in doing so, but foolishly I persisted and did it anyway!

I received my package from Jimbo week before last, and ohhh - were these hooks lovely, and felt so wonderful in my hand! BUT, I couldn't for the life of me figure out which one was the J and which the K! I used every trick in my arsenal to try and puzzle their identities out, resorting to a final swatch test to see which was the larger of the two... The swatches worked up EXACTLY the same, and from the gauge, and the comparison to my aluminum hooks, I determined that I had two J hooks on my hands. Oh darn!

Here's a few pics of the two hooks, along with associated aluminum hooks for comparison, to show the dilemma I was in...

The two hooks:
Image hosting by Photobucket

Hooks side by side with the aluminums:
Image hosting by Photobucket

I contacted Jimbo rather reluctantly, because I didn't want to make him feel bad, although as pretty much anybody that knows him knows, this is virtually impossible to avoid. So of course, it made me feel bad. There was just no escaping it! But after a few swapped emails with attempts on both sides to wrestle the blame from the other, we came to the agreeable decision that I would send one of the J's back to him, to be replaced by an N hook, and all that was left for me to do then was make up my mind which hook it should be. That took another couple of days, and I finally got it sent off to him last Tuesday. Trust me, it was hard to send that second hook back, despite the fact that there was really no reason for me to have two wood J hooks at this time. I sent the shorter one (in the pic) back, and kept the longer one, only because I seemed to be able to work better with that one, though the grip on the returned hook was the most comfortable of the two.

But now that I have worked with a wooden hook, I find I have gotten totally spoiled! What I really wanted was to get some of the smaller hooks in wood, especially an F, for working with my laceweight yarns on my Seraphina shawls (of which I have many planned, materials being on hand and standing by). And wouldn't you know it, someone posted on Crochetville that Bill over at Turn of the Century had just restocked his hooks. I had to go look... And buy...

Going for broke, I ordered the F I needed, along with an H and, since it hadn't worked out with Jimbo, I got a K too - I really did need that size! These lovely babies arrived last week:
Image hosting by Photobucket

I am finding it sooo much more comfortable working with these wooden hooks, I'm not sure I will ever be able to return to my aluminums again! I highly recommend both styles of hooks for those perched on the edge of wanting to buy a wooden hook. Both are beautiful in their unique ways - gorgeous woods, fine finishes, smooth hand and operation. I gotta tell you:

HEAVEN IS A PIECE OF WOOD!


4 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Oh, very nice! I have been wanting some wood hooks.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous julie said…

    Those are all drool-worthy! Beautiful!!

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anna said…

    Those Jimbo hooks are drool-worthy! I'm awaiting my Q hook from him now. :) I LOVE the handle on yours - looks smooth as butter. :)

    I haven't taken the plunge with the TOTC hooks yet - I keep looking, but I'm waiting for one to catch my eye. lol

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Kari said…

    I am totally sold on wood hooks! My totc dogwood N Hook came today.
    Jimbo's hooks are wonderful too, I love my N Hook fomr him, they will fight to see who gets used more I am sure LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home