Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Friday, February 17, 2006

Hook franticly flyin'

Don't mind me, folks, while I get a tiny bit hysterical here - after all, it's my modus operandi, remember? Maybe I need it to fuel me, to keep me going, I don't know. But I feel the panic rising as I contemplate the fact that despite my studious efforts at laying those rows down, I am now 15 rows behind my established goal, based on a daily output of 10 rows! I did not skip any days, though I didn't have as productive a day as I would have liked on Tuesday, and dragged quite a bit yesterday (as in Wednesday) as well. But I still crocheted on, right through my slump. I just didn't get very many rows done!

Well, I knew this was going to be a major challenge for me! Speed has never been my strong suit, but it does seem like as I get older, the slower I get. EEP! That won't do!

I'll keep plugging away, and try to keep from nervously counting the dwindling number of days between me and the deadline for this project. I'll try - and I mean try hard not to allow myself to have a nervous breakdown over something that, after all, is a voluntary effort with no real penalties for "failure". Ah, but I would still like to WIN!

I've completed 55 rows out of 152, technically putting me a third of the way through, and as I get further along with it, my technique has improved so that the patterns are aligning much more neatly than they did in the beginning. I'd had an argument with the indwelling perfectionist who had insisted that to do this right, I really should have frogged the whole thing and started over once I realized how I was messing up my patterns (even though just a little), but the competitor in me pointed out that this was impossible to do and still meet that deadline. I have read of many of my team-mates being forced to frog back on their projects in order to correct for errors and size adjustments, but they still are tending to run ahead of schedule even with those setbacks. So, I had to sacrifice a little perfection in order to remain reasonably competitive.

Alrighty now - I'm wasting time here! I am begrudging any activity that steals time away from this project now, so I will wrap up this quick little update so I can get back to it before I have to give up for the night. The goal is to complete at least 4 more rows, more if possible, before sleep is allowed to overcome me. I will post an update pic tomorrow night sometime. At least I'd like to take an opportunity to brag a little bit in the midst of my normal state of hysteria - it really is looking mighty fine! And this is as perfect a time as any to be hiding under a growing blanket - it's pretty cold tonight, and my afghan is keeping my lap toasty warm.

Maybe tomorrow I'll even be able to chatter about other things too, we'll see. It will depend on the level of my hysteria! And that, of course, will depend on how far behind I still find myself (holding out for a miracle in the form of a shrinking deficit).

Music to accompany my hookin tonight: A Rush of Blood to the Head, Cold Play.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:29 AM, Blogger Marvie said…

    Deep breaths =) The weekend is coming up, with any luck you'll have time to make up those rows Saturday and Sunday right? Think positive thoughts =)

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Pandora said…

    Don't worry too much about what the other hookers are up to. I had to discard two entire finished sqaures for my afghan--but my finished squares, all in DC, are a LOT simpler than what you're working on, and so don't represent throwing out as much effort as frogging several rows might for you. Remember, there's still more than half the time left in this competition--you can do it! :D

    *hugs*
    Pandora
    http://pandoraanesidor.blogspot.com

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Kimberly said…

    *sigh* Do I need to pull those dang pom-poms out again?????? PLEASE don't make me do it!!! LOL

    Just keep at it - finish or not you do the best that you can, and that is all that should be asked for!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home