Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Success with Felting

I'm driving myself crazy here, trying to get several things done all at once - something I'm not very good at! I've had numerous things I've been wanting to blog about but it's going to take me awhile to get them all covered. I'd like to try (for once) to break it down and limit my postings to one topic each, then maybe I can get them all covered and with the coverage they deserve. Of course, that will require a bit of organizing on my part. After running for 3 days on about 4 hours of sleep, I crashed and burned today, and I think I caught some of it up. But it sure does make for a short one!

Anyway, I wanted to share my excitement over my first foray into the world of felting! I worked up this little envelope piece - calling it a clutch for want of a better description - as a test piece for what I have in mind as my major project: a felted tote for my partner in the spring bag swap. I still need to work a bit on my joining technique, which gave one side of this clutch a few problems, but it otherwise turned out pretty dang good I think! I'm going to see if I can post some clickable thumbnails here so you can see this little bag in it's before and after states:














If I did this right, all of the images should be clickable so you can see pictures large enough to show the details on this thing.

I worked this piece up free-hand, without a pattern. I will say this: I am in LOVE with Galway wool! I used it double-stranded on this project (as I will also do with the tote) so that thickness-wise, it would be a closer match with the Lion Landscapes I paired it with. I wasn't sure how this was going to felt up using two different brands of wool - and one of them only being 50% wool, but it looks like it is going to work out just fine! It took 3 turns through the washing machine to achieve a full felt, with approximately 20% reduction in size. Due to it's thickness, this is a very firm fabric, and I don't think I'm going to need to worry about lining the tote when I make that up. If my swap partner sees this and hates these colors, she'd better let me know asap! I do have some other colors I could use instead, but I thought these were nice and springy. I checked with the LYS today where I picked this yarn up from previously, and they still have that 40% off all yarn sale going on, so I am thinking of going by there tomorrow to get some more of this Galway, I'm not sure I have enough (especially considering how much I ended up using on my test piece!). The store had a LOT of this yarn, and in lots of different colors too. Last time I visited the shop, I left hauling a trash bag full of yarn, lol! I'll have to control myself a bit more this time.

So, I think my first try came out successful. My little clutch is drying now, and all I need is to find a toggle of some sort for the flap to hook over, then I will decide what to do with it. With my Olympic project scheduled to begin tomorrow afternoon, I don't know how soon I will be able to start on the tote for my purse swap. It will be totally dependent on how fast I am able to move with my afghan whether I think I can sneak some crocheting time from it to work on other things. I've calculated that to stay on target with finishing my afghan by the end of the Olympic period, I need to work a minimum of 12 rows a day, which means I'd have the afghan done to the point of working the edge rounds, in 13 days, giving me 3 days to get those rounds done and all the finish work accomplished.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home