Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Monday, March 27, 2006

Busy weekend

As usual, time keeps speeding on by and leaving me in the dust while my to-do list continues to grow and grow and... well, you get the idea. I've been trying to stay focused on getting my 20 squares done, am happy to report that I am currently working on #13, hoping to get it finished up before bedtime. Until I complete this project, I can't even try to pick anything else up - I've discovered that I get nothing much accomplished when I split my attention between projects. I know many others talk about rotating between projects, mainly due to boredom, but I quickly found that when I tried that, the ufo's just seemed to pile up. And with my recent difficulties with focus and concentration adding to the problem, I'm much better off sticking with working all the way through one project at a time for the time being. So, squares it will be at least until I hit that magic #20.

Now, most of these squares I've been doing are fairly easy ones and really shouldn't be taking me as long as they are. I've been averaging about one a day, which is sloooow! A large part of that is that there have been few that I have managed to work all the way through without dropping with a splash into the frog pond a time or two - or more! I have no doubt it has a lot to do with those focus and concentration issues, combined with an occasionally confusingly written set of instructions. It drives me nuts, but seems to be the story of my life lately. Oh well! [Interestingly enough, I just ran across this, which explains my problems perfectly! Check out numbers 3, 4 and 8 - that's me! The page I linked was included in a periodic e-newsletter, called Chains of Thought, posted by some members on a yahoo group I'm on, Crochetlist.] I do also have to confess that I lose time by browsing around online and trying to keep up with my various lists - can't really include this blog too, seeing as how I haven't been posting all that much - and I just can't do both at once. Believe me, I've tried, and got nowhere fast. And, of course, there's still a life to be lived in between the stitches and the browsing... But my completed stack is growing, and they are all looking quite nice, and I can just imagine each of them being joined up with others into a nice afghan full of love and caring, which makes it all worthwhile. I will take pics of them before I send them off and post here, I promise!

Yesterday, I finally got to meet my newest grandbaby - this is the newest child of my daughter's best friend, who I consider my daughter too, since the two were inseparable throughout their childhood. I also got to see my first grandbaby, who is growing like a little weed, soon to be ten years old (in September). Zoie is pretty special to me, as I was there to greet her when she arrived in this world, a couple of months early. She spent the first few months of her life in a neo-natal care unit, but has grown into a lovely little girl, though reportedly a bit of a handful for mom, as is Abby, at 15 months old. Isis and I made the trip into Chicago to spend the afternoon with them and to (finally) deliver presents we'd both had for them for quite some time. In my case, it was the baby clouds ripple afghan I'd made for Abby shortly after she was born, as well as a mother-daughter capelet set I'd made for Paula and Zoie. They loved them! We had a wonderful time. It was quite late by the time I got back home, and I was pretty pooped, but I still managed to get my daily square made, crocheting much of it in the car while Isis drove. Coming back, it was dark, but I had my nifty little headlamp which allowed me to keep on working, though Isis begged me not to look up while she was driving - especially in the city, lol! I complied, to keep her happy!

I've got a bunch of pictures here to share (what else would you expect from a proud gramma?).

Here's a shot of all my girls. Alas, as usual, my hand betrayed me and shook as I clicked the picture, but it's still passable.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Yet another blurry shot, this one of Abby with her new blankie
Image hosting by Photobucket

Shot of me with Paula and Abby (note how clear this shot is?)
Image hosting by Photobucket

Zoie, concentrating on her new project book (gift from Aunty Isis), a kit for making friendship bracelets.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Zoie loves all things crafty. She's asked me to teach her how to crochet. It gives me a good excuse to make it back to the city again soon! I suspect she'll take that craft and run with it!

There's a bunch of full-sized pics to check out, if you're so inclined, by clicking this link and then clicking the "next" button to page through the album. One of the two obvious picture sets was taken by Isis while Abby showed us her prowess over her little slide at home (mom was at the end waiting to catch her). These were taken after the playground shots which follow in the album, those were taken by me - and surprisingly not as many blurry shots, even though I was shivering. It was cold out there! But the kids had a lot of fun.

Hopefully, I will manage to get to some of the other things I've been wanting to blog about in the next few days. But for now I'm going to post this and then go work on my current square a bit before heading for bed, which will be very soon. I'm still tired from yesterday's trip!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:15 AM, Blogger Norah said…

    What a beautiful family!! Loved looking at your photos.

     
  • At 1:54 AM, Blogger Mimi said…

    Lovely pics, you should be a proud mom and grandmom!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home