Goldi's Locks of Yarn

My place to discuss my raging obsession with yarn and crochet along with happenings in my life and the world at large

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Speaking of Seraphina...

The other day, in an effort to provide some clarification on the pattern to someone who had written requesting assistance, I drew up a schematic diagram to illustrate the increase zones. This schematic may be helpful to anyone who is struggling to visualize how the shawl is supposed to "grow" as you repeat the 4 row pattern sequence rows. I figured I'd make it available here for you. Click on the thumbnail below to be taken to a full-sized version of this image, where you can right-click and save it to your computer for printing and viewing. I know this project has felt very daunting and complicated to many, but I can promise that once you are able to grasp the repeating pattern sequence (and understand where the increase stitches are always made), you will find that it really isn't all that hard at all! You can make it over that initial hump!

My only major tip beyond that is to remember to look upon the V stitches as a single element. What screwed me up repeatedly in the beginning was my difficulty in differentiating the dc stitches that were part of the V stitch from those building the increases - I kept (incorrectly) making stitches into those dc's. So watch those V stitches! Also, for those working from the original pattern - there should be ch-1 stitches made between all shells and sets of 3 dc "ribs", even if it's not specifically mentioned in the pattern. Some of them got overlooked.

Click on the thumbnail for the Seraphina schematic:



2 Comments:

  • At 2:37 AM, Blogger Mimi said…

    Thanks for this post, Goldi, I might give seraphina a try on the colder months. Good luck on Seasprite!

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Goldi,

    Last year on July 10th you sent me an email saying you have a pdf file that you could send me since the instructions online have some errors. I am now ready to make the shawl and would love to have it. Email me at caralanne@aol.com

    Thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home